Cookery Class Facilitator
We are looking for two facilitators to support us to run cookery classes in Kent. You can facilitate in Canterbury, Margate, or both locations.
Are you looking for a part-time role that makes a difference? Do you have cookery class experience and/or a passion for food and want to do something different? Support a great cause, meet amazing people and eat incredible food from around the world.
Migrateful is a social enterprise where asylum seekers, refugees and migrants struggling to access employment in the UK due to legal and linguistic barriers, teach their traditional cuisines to the public in cookery classes.
Migrateful’s mission is to challenge negative perceptions of migration through contact theory. The facilitator plays a key role in supporting meaningful and positive exchange in our classes in order to achieve this objective.
The facilitator is the bridge between the class participants and the chef, but is also responsible for setting up the stations for the cookery classes and managing volunteers before, during and after the class has taken place. Most importantly, the role is about ensuring that the classes run smoothly and that participants, volunteers and chefs have fun and enjoy the experience!
We currently have regular facilitators running classes in Canterbury and Margate but are looking for two standby facilitators to cover holiday, sickness and absences.
You will receive full training in how to facilitate a Migrateful Cookery Class.
Classes take place in:
- Canterbury on Wednesday evenings
- Margate on Thursday evenings
- Comfortable public speaking and hosting
- Supports Migrateful’s mission
- Has strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to deal with, and have empathy for a diverse range of people including vulnerable groups
- Ability to take initiative, be flexible and think creatively
- Good at troubleshooting (e.g. spillages, missing ingredients)
- Deals well with and stays calm in stressful situations
- Enthusiasm, energy and a positive attitude
- Has the right to work and able to be self-employed
- Lives near either Canterbury or Margate
- We particularly welcome applicants from people with refugee or migrant backgrounds.
- Food Safety and Hygiene Level 2 Qualification
- First Aid Training
- DBS check
- Experience of working with vulnerable adults, in particular from refugee backgrounds.
- People with experience of cookery classes
- Being on call to facilitate classes (day dependant on location, see above).
- Arriving onsite at 5pm, finishing by 10:30pm
- Buying ingredients for classes on the day
- Setting up cooking stations and equipment for the class
- Welcoming participants and creating a warm, friendly atmosphere
- Introducing and explaining Migrateful to participants
- Delivering a Health & Safety briefing before each class starts
- Assisting with the basics of food and kitchen safety and food preparation
- Checking participants allergies and responding accordingly
- Interacting with participants and supporting them to have a great time
- Supporting the chef throughout the class and managing the volunteers
- Clearing up the space and leaving the venue clean and tidy
- Cleaning the equipment and cutlery/crockery so it is ready to use for the next class
- Provide regular feedback after each class including updates to recipes and feedback on chefs, volunteers and the class in general.
- Responding promptly to requests from the Bookings Coordinator for you to facilitate at classes
- Supporting the mission of Migrateful.
- Getting to know our amazing chefs and supporting them in their Migrateful journey.
- Getting to eat delicious home-cooked food from around the world.
- National Living Wage for your hours, currently £9.90/h (not including travel time) e.g. £64.35 for a 4-10:30pm class.
- Level 2 Food Hygiene course paid for by Migrateful
- First Aid course paid for by Migrateful
Contract: Freelance Ad Hoc
Salary: National Living Wage (£9.90 per hour)
Location: Kent (Canterbury & Margate)